Erin's Everyday Thoughts

Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Best Part of My Yesterday

Yesterday was in many regards a dreary day. It was beautiful outside, and I was stuck inside for work. I was stuck inside for work, but I had little to no meaningful work to accomplish. Really, it was just one of those days--it was no good to try to sit still, but I had to.

After work, I drove up to Lebanon, Ohio, to visit a bike trail that I'd visited for the first time this past Sunday. On Sunday, I rode a portion of the trail with Mike. It was a lovely ride (it's always fun to bike with Mike), but a bit chilly, with the wind whipping about and eventually giving me a headache. The most frustrating part of the trip on Sunday was a large hill that I could not handle. I had to get off of my bike and walk it up the hill, which always frustrates me.

Yesterday, I returned to the trail to try to ride the portion of the trail we had not explored (having a bit more energy and definitely a better riding temperature). I set out in the direction opposite to what we had gone, which also included an incline that I was able to handle. It was a Perfect Day to ride. The sun was shining, but not too brightly (hurting my eyes) or too warmly (making me hot). The wind was blowing, but it was a Spring breeze. It felt cool and easy on my arms, chest, legs. The trail was all but empty, so I didn't have to worry about sticking to my side of it or having my thoughts punctuated by the "hello" of a passerby. (I like hellos, certainly, but there are times when you just want to BE in nature and not be disturbed.)

I was feeling so good that I decided to re-try the portion of the trail that I'd rode on Sunday. I winded up and down and around, and I finally reached the Big Incline. My bike has 21 gears, and I usually ride somewhere in the middle. For this hill, I dropped all of the way to the lowest gear and pedaled with all of my might. When you drop into low gear, it is easier to pedal the bike, but you do not gain much distance with each stroke. So I was basically crawling up the hill. I started to breath heavily and almost, ALMOST decided to walk it again. But then I noticed a leaf on the side of the trail up ahead and thought to myself--I'm just going to ride to that leaf, and then I'll walk it. When I got to the leaf, I saw a sign post ahead. I thought--OK, I can certainly make it to the sign post, and then I'll walk. Doing this, I got all of the way up the hill. When I reached the top, because the exuberance was more than I could bear, and because the trail was more or less empty, I smiled the biggest smile and wiggled out a victory dance on my bike. This was the best part of my yesterday. And the rest of the ride through the hills and beautiful sunshine was just gravy.

2 Comments:

  • Congratulations! You have got to feel good about yourself for doing that...and I'm not a bicyclist, but your description is so vivid, I could feel that sun on my face. I like this a lot. Good post.

    J

    By Blogger emmapeelDallas, at 12:33 AM  

  • see, I don't particularly care to ride with Mike. Maybe it's just me.

    Funny though. I can actually SEE you doing a little victory dance.

    By Blogger Guy Smiley!, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home