Erin's Everyday Thoughts

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Spring Nights

I love to sleep with my windows open. The cool night air of early Spring creeps in and overtakes my bed, which is right beside the window. In the middle of the night, I wake up with a chill and have to reach for my comforter, pull it up to my chin. My bed becomes an oasis of warmth, while the rest of the room grows chilly. In the morning, I feel as though I'm emerging from a cocoon. But boy, am I ready to start my day.

I leave the curtains open. The moment I click off my light, I can see out but no one can see in anymore. It is conspiratorial. Just me and the darkness and the cool night air. And of course, my thoughts. I can think whatever I want to think, dream all of the lovely dreams I'd like. There is no daylight to tell me of limitations. I can spy on the neighborhood like a detective, or like a thief. No one will know which it is.

I love the feeling of connection with outside that comes from leaving the windows open. If there is a storm after night, as there was on Tuesday, I'm sure to wake up with the thunder. It's the best way to be woken because I am safe and warm and inside and I can observe the force of the storm. It's the best way to fall asleep--listening to the monotony of rain and, eventually, of thunder. (Even that seems to have its patterns if you listen long enough.)

This is without a doubt my favorite time of year.

3 Comments:

  • Beautiful writing, Erin. Are you working on any stories? Did you write your accordion story? Are you playing the accordion?

    By Blogger Theresa Williams, at 6:07 PM  

  • Erin,

    Theresa's right, this is BEAUTIFUL. I wish I could sleep with my windows open, but I'm on the first floor, and so I can't. When I move though, if ever there was a reason to have a bedroom on the second floor, this is it...

    Judi

    By Blogger emmapeelDallas, at 2:11 AM  

  • i feel the same way about fall, but never could sum it up so eloquently.

    By Blogger Erin, at 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home