Erin's Everyday Thoughts

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Books and More Books

Per Theresa's suggestion, here is the list of books I received for Christmas. I'm excited to read each: (appearing approximately in the order I received them)

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
The Best Book of Puns
A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie
Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Poetry as Survival by Gregory Orr
Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Weight by Jeanette Winterson
The Tent by Margaret Atwood
Moral Disorder by Margaret Atwood
Walden: 150th Anniversary Illustrated Edition by Thoreau (photos: Scot Miller)
Animals of the Ocean
Gifts by Ursula K. LeGuin

Over the holiday, I also acquired (by way of gift card or really good find):

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

I have a lot of reading ahead of me this year!

Did you receive or buy any good books over the holidays?

4 Comments:

  • good year

    By Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME, at 12:26 PM  

  • Erin, it looks like there's something there for every mood! Please post entries as you finish each book. Did you ever think about reviewing the books you read on Amazon? I do that once in a while and enjoy it. Our family didn't exchange gifts this year. With one son in the hospital, it wasn't a very joyous time for us. Hardly anyone buys me books, except for you, sometimes Beth, sometimes Paula. But, boy do I ever buy lots of them! I'm really getting into the writing/survival topic and recently bought "Berryman's Henry: Living at the Intersection of Need and Art." Also "Trauma and Survival in Contemporary Fiction." I also recently bought some previously untranslated poems by Rilke, and several novels by Henry Miller and Saul Bellow. I have lots and lots to read. Do post here more often. It's the easiest way, it seems, for us to keep up with each other and to put something of ourselves out into the world. And, BTW, thanks for the postcard you sent recently! It made me laugh!

    By Blogger Theresa Williams, at 7:35 PM  

  • I didn't receive or buy any books, but I did find my copy of Orlando and started reading it. I ended up going to Wikipedia to learn more about what the back-story was, because it's really confusing and, well, weird. But I'm enjoying reading it, and I plan to loan it to you when I give you P&P that you lent me. :)

    By Blogger Erin, at 6:46 PM  

  • Erin, thank you so much for the comment on my blog. I'll be back.... Anyway, I like your list of gift books...Theresa gives me books, but she is the only person. I usually receive clothes. Now, why is that, I wonder! Take care, and hope to "talk" to you soon. Beth

    By Blogger beths front porch, at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home